The Facade

The façade of the Church is typical of Kilian Dientzenhofer’s artistic reveries. In such a cramped space afforded the Church the architect literally “rolled” the façade in wave-like frozen motion. The west or main portal, one of the largest of its kind in Prague’s church architecture, represents one of the more beautiful examples of renaissance architecture. Two massive doric pillars frame the metal door encased in dark red marble above which stands the statue of Saint Augustine. This statue of the saint holding the icongraphic attribute of heart and book comes from the atelier of the Mala Strana sculptor, Jerome Kohl, who inscribed on the basis of the statue the words:

MAGNUS S. P. AUGUSTINUS ANNO MDCLXXXIIII 15. APRILIS GREAT HOLY FATHER AUGUSTINE IN THE YEAR 1683 15 APRIL.

On top of the very pinnacle of the Church directly above the choir window there formerly stood a statue of the Saviour. The projected south tower was never completed. The current bells replace those stolen during the first world war in 1914–1918. Over the south door of the Church facing Josefska street is the statue of Saint Thomas, the Apostle with the attribute of his spear of martyrdom, also by the same artist, Jerome Kohl. The inscription on the base of the statue reads:

SANCTUS THOMAS APOSTOLUS SAINT THOMAS THE APOSTLE.

The portal below this resembles the west portal in its detailed metallic workmanship.